Melrose Park Child Custody Attorney

If you’re getting divorced and have children, part of the divorce agreement will include where and with whom the children get to live. Child custody hearings can be difficult on both the parents and the children, which is why you need a child custody lawyer who can negotiate custody issues.

Why Do You Need Child Custody Advice and Representation?

Illinois no longer uses the term “custody”, but rather “Allocation of Parental Responsibilities”. Seeking out the best legal representation you can find is extremely important since the parent who the child lives with or the custodial parent gets to make significant decisions regarding the child’s lifestyle, education, and welfare. The parents can also opt for what we used to call ‘Joint Custody’, meaning the parents make significant decisions together regarding their children. Not getting the proper representation could mean you can lose the right to see your child.

Gordon & Perlut, LLC has been serving residents of Illinois by providing them with sound legal advice and legal representation for Illinois Child Custody cases. If you currently reside in Melrose Park and are engaged in a legal custody battle for your child, you should understand the rules of child custody in Illinois.

Do Know Your Rights During a Child Custody Battle?

Melrose Park Child Custody

Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), an individual may begin a Melrose Park Child Custody case even if the child is not currently residing in Illinois, provided they have lived in the state within six months of the filing. When you plan on presenting your case in an Illinois court you are going to need to provide the facts that show jurisdiction, enabling you to ask for custody of your child in Illinois.

Courts in Illinois must decide on a parenting schedule, and how decisions about your child will be made. The first refers to the specific days and times the child will be with each parent; a parenting schedule. Our courts tend to favor that a child spends significant time with both parents unless it is not in that child’s best interest. If you want to ask a court to restrict the time of the other parent, it is your burden (with your attorney) to show a court why a liberal parenting schedule is not in your child’s best interest.

Also, the court will need to decide if the parents are capable of making joint decisions about major issues, or if the Court must choose one parent to make all of the major decisions. This is what used to be referred to as “custody”: the right of a parent or parents in making major decisions such as the schooling, healthcare, and religious upbringing of the child. In a joint Allocation Judgment, both parents get to make major decisions on behalf of the child. In Melrose Park and Illinois, do our courts listen to the opinions of the children? Yes, the court is not bound by your child’s opinion, and generally will give some weight to that opinion based upon your child’s age and maturity.

Determining a Melrose Park Child Custody attorney will require thoughtful consideration since it is an extremely serious and difficult issue. If you find yourself in this challenging situation, turning to an experienced child custody attorney can give you the sound advice you need to proceed.

Contact a Reliable Melrose Park Child Custody Lawyer Today

To find out more about how we can help you with regards to Melrose Park Child Custody issues after going through the difficult time of divorce, feel free to contact Gordon & Perlut, LLC at 312-360-0250.

Contact Us