Cook County Area Attorneys Handling Your Divorce Appeals

Hardworking Illinois divorce, allocation of parental responsibilities (formerly known as child custody) and child support appeals attorneys

Gordon & Perlut, LLC concentrates on family law, and we can assist you in an appeal of any decision of a circuit court within our state. We have handled numerous child support appeals, child custody appeals and divorce appeals and can provide you with the skilled representation you need.

It is important to know that a Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days of the entry of a final order. This is the case for all family law matters, such as divorcechild support, visitation, or custody. Note that the appeal does not have to be filed within 30 days, but the Notice of Appeal does. If timely notice is not filed within the proper timeframe, the right to an appeal is waived and the circuit court order or judgment stands.

If you are considering a divorce appeal, you should contact a qualified divorce attorney immediately. The Court of Appeals does not take testimony from the parties; it only considers the briefs filed by the attorneys in the appeal and the record from the circuit court. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you “make your record” in the lower circuit court. Sometimes, a client asks if certain actions we take as attorneys — for example, hiring a court reporter to provide a transcript of a court proceeding — are necessary. Our response is always that we need to make a record of the case. Otherwise, the only record of a hearing that survives is the court order or judgment issued. Without a record of the proceedings, a divorce appeals court cannot refer to what happened at the court hearing. This can often be the difference between winning and losing your appeal.

Do you need a divorce appeals attorney for your case?

Email our experienced appeals attorneys at Gordon & Perlut, LLC or call our Chicago office at 312.360.0250 or our suburban office at 847.329.0101 now so we can look over your case and help you win your appeal.

Contact Us