Attorneys Helping You Gain Guardianship in Illinois

Lawyers focused on your child’s best interests

Often, it is necessary to ask a court to appoint a guardian for a minor when neither parent cannot care for that child. Any person who is at least 18, of sound mind and not adjudicated a disabled person under the law, and who has not been convicted of a felony and is found capable by the court of providing an active and suitable program of guardianship in Illinois for the minor is qualified to act as guardian of the person or the estate of a minor. To appoint a guardian for a minor, a petition must be filed with the court requesting the appointment. Parents may also designate a person qualified to act as guardian for his or her child in any writing, including a will. This designation must be done in a very specific way, as set forth in the laws regarding guardianship in Illinois.

Your lawyer can help you sort out the difficult issues of guardianship, child custody (now known as allocation of parental responsibilities), child support, and parenting time. An attorney can also help you understand the pros and cons of legal separation versus divorce.

It may also be necessary to request a court to appoint a guardian for a disabled adult. The most common situation involves elderly individuals who, with the advancement of age, cannot care for themselves or their estate. After filing a petition, the court may establish guardianship in Illinois for the disabled adult and the estate.

Our lawyers can help you through the process of obtaining guardianship in Illinois

Our experienced lawyers can help you apply for guardianship of minors.  For more information, email our guardianship attorneys at Gordon & Perlut, LLC, or call our Chicago office at  312.360.0250 or our Skokie office at  847.329.0101 for help.

Contact Us